Michael Davie-Smythe - Senior Mining Tenement Manager
Michael is a qualified geologist who has been responsible for management on behalf of TAS’ client portfolios across the southern states since 2005.
Prior to this Michael was responsible for administration of over 1000 tenements as part of the Great Central Mines Group, and managed on behalf of TAS the successful merger with Australian Mining Tenement Consultants.
In his current role as Senior Manager Michael provides on-going advice, review and support on a range of tenure-related matters to clients in relation to legislation in Victoria, Tasmania and South Australia.
Similar to the role of the WA State Manager, Michael is responsible for the implementation of current policy and procedure and also the introduction of new guidelines to ensure TAS is up to date with industry and legislation. He constantly reviews internal systems and develops strategies and mechanisms to guarantee compliance with:
- Mineral Resources Development Act (Vic) 1980 and Regulations
- Mineral Resources Development Act (Tas) 1995 and Regulations
- Mining Act (SA) 1971 and Regulations and other related legislation
The overall management of TAS’ Victorian office portfolio involves providing expert advice and guidance to clients on a range of complex matters including:
- ground acquisition;
- JV and farm-in/farm-out agreement monitoring and management;
- all critical date activities, including Extension of Term and Exemption from Drop Off applications
- compilation and lodgment of caveats, transfers, bonds, securities and all other dealings;
- representation and lobbying to relevant government bodies on behalf of clients;
- Forfeiture Submissions; and
- Native Title advice, representation and negotiations.
His professional understanding of the industry, knowledge of the relevant legislation, and network of contacts within governing bodies and private enterprises, ensures Michael is a major asset to existing and prospective clients.